ARAPYURDU

At 680m altitude and 3km southeast of Dereağzı castle is an important ancient settlement known as Arapyurdu. It’s on the old road running Dereağzı – another unnamed settlement – Arapyurdu – Ayıveliler, or can be reached by unsurfaced road from Karadağ via the villages of Bağlararası, Palamutçukuru and Ayıveliler.

In Arapyurdu’s level centre are Hellenistic and Roman buildings, the ruins of a Hellenistic tower or farmstead built with bossage blocks, two wine workshops, a cylindrical millstone, some cisterns and a chamasorion tomb. The settlement is surrounded by old terraces.

The acropolis (47m x 35m) is on a hill about 200m further south, overlooking the Myros valley. It is probably Hellenistic but Byzantine buildings were added. The north and east walls are well preserved to the top of the doorframes. 200m east is a Classic polygonal masonry tower with exterior walls well preserved to about 2m. 150m west of the acropolis are foundations of another rectangular building.

Morganstern and his team found nine coins as follows: a coin of Pericles, dynast of Limyra (380–360 BC), four coins of the Hellenistic Lycian League (167 BC – 43 AD); two coins from the late Roman period (Theodosius, 383–392); one Byzantine coin of Constantine II (654-655) and a Venetian coin of the year 1539. These are the only coins found so far in the mountains of Masikytos.